Tuesday, October 04, 2005

NEED PRACTICE?

I will go to the tutor center Shima 217, tomorrow, this Wednesday 10/5/05, as soon as I get out of my clinical at SJGH. I will hopefully make it there by 1600 (my cell 329-1369). The center stays open late on Wed. I will bring over 50 real blood gas papers so that you can see what they look like and practice interpreting. These are a piece of cake. In less than 10 minutes you can have these down pat and pick the right answer with confidence every time. Don't get so hung up on these that you lose time studying the other stuff.
What you really need to understand are the signs and symptoms of acidosis and alkalosis. What do you expect to see? Why? What is going on? Why? What can you and should you do about it as a nurse? What is the MOST important thing to do first? What can happen if something is not done? What is our body trying to do to compensate? What is so important about those electrolytes? What do they do? Does it really matter if they shift in or out of the cells a little bit? Learn the normal blood levels for the major electrolytes. This is where flash cards might come in handy.
I will bring all kinds of tutorial sheets and practice questions so we can discuss the answers together.
Check out your Fundamental's CD on the fluid and electrolyte tutorial if you haven't already.

2 comments:

Lisa Stephenson said...

Ahh...I see...sorry for the mix up Bonnie! Thanks again for all you do!
-Lisa

Bonnie Boss said...

Lisa, no problem. Helping you is really helping me. I never get enough time to really learn all of this stiff at the rate that it is being shoveled at us, so if I can go over it again with you all, it helps me learn a little more and reinforce what I have managed to hang on to.