Friday, May 25, 2007

Congratulations! Now the NCLEX......

Your pinning ceremony was awesome, It made me tear up! You all did it, I am so proud of you all, congratulations. I took a bunch of pics too.

A word of advice,
try to take your NCLEX within a week or 2 of your review courses. Trust me. You really can't study for the NCLEX. You will see what I mean when you take it. The questions are really straight forward and easy to understand, it is the choices that are a little odd. Don't let that make you nervous though, I thought it was great and was bummed when it shut off. The tests that you have been getting the whole time throughout the program are harder than the NCLEX.
Remember that they are only testing you on entry level nursing, basic safety. It does not go very deep. A peds Q may not really be a peds Q. They may just be testing how you prioritize, or how you might critically think. They may throw in some diseases or meds you have never heard of in your life but they are not really checking out how much you know about the name they threw at you, they may be just checking out your ABCs or thoughts about how to keep someone safe.
Statistically speaking, the longer you wait the more freaked out you will get and the more basic info you will forget and you will put yourself at a higher risk of not passing.
The Davis NCLEX Qs on the CD are as about as close as you can get to how the NCLEX really looks. Practice enough to get comfortable with taking NCLEX tests on a computer if you have not been doing that already and then go for it.
It is normal to walk out of there feeling like you failed. The test is designed to make you feel
that way. That is actually a good sign. Most of us knew the results in a few days.

I took mine in SF. I stayed at the same motel that I stayed in for the NCLEX review. I took my husband and we went for a few days. We made a deal out of it. My rationing was, that no matter what, I am going to have a good time and reward myself and him for all of the stress caused by the program. We went a day early to find the testing site, ( at the bottom of Coit Tower) and to relax. The beach was 2 blocks from the motel. I walked on it the night before, saw the moon reflected on the water, heard the sounds of the water and birds, smelled the beachy smells and stored it all up in my memory in case I needed a place during the exam to mentally retreat to.

After the test we had a really good time in SF doing or not doing whatever we wanted to do. It was great! I highly recommend it.

If you have any Qs you can email me at bboss947@sbcglobal.net.
Good Luck. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Robyn said...

Thanks so much Bonnie!

Doriza said...

Thank you Bonnie